1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 26, 2019 1:50 PM by Rebecca Collier

U-Tapao Airfield, Thailand 1970

LUCINDA A GILLUM Newbie

MY LATE HUSBAND, SSGT RONALD L GILLUM WORKED AT THIS AIR FIELD FOR ONE YEAR IN 1970.  I AM LOOKING FOR ANYONE WHO WORKED WITH HIM.  PLEASE CONTACT ME.  THANK YOU.  I'M TRYING TO MAKE A VA CLAIM.

• Re: U-Tapao Airfield, Thailand 1970
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Gillum,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The information you seek amy be contained in the morning reports of the unit in which your husband served. Written requests for archival Air Force Morning Reports and Unit Rosters are not accepted. Individuals may only access these records by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO.

OR you may wish to have a representative of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) submit on your behalf a request to the Joint Services Records Research Center (JSRRC), 9301 Chapek Road, Building 1458, Room NW5708, Fort Belvoir, VA 22060-5605. The website is https://www.rmda.army.mil/jsrrc/RMDA-JSRRC-Division.html?param=SUH-L9A-FE2-E8B. The JSRRC conducts searches regarding exposure to Agent Orange.

A Department of Defense report written in 1973 titled, Project CHECO Southeast Asia Report: Base Defense in Thailand 1968-1972, contains evidence that there was a significant use of herbicides on the fenced-in perimeters of military bases in Thailand to remove foliage that provided cover for enemy forces.

VA determined that herbicides used on the Thailand base perimeters may have been tactical and procured from Vietnam, or a strong, commercial type resembling tactical herbicides.

We hope this information is helpful.

2 of 2 people found this helpful