2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2019 1:50 PM by Melissa Himes

Transcription Projects - Contract work

Tenille Martin Newbie

I previously worked as a transcriptionist for the financial sector but have found immense pleasure in transcribing historical manuscripts. I am disabled and can only work small amounts per day from home. I was wondering if there is a market for our skills outside of volunteering? I'm happy to volunteer but thought it might be something to look into on a contract basis where I could do a project at a time. I would love any advice.

• Re: Transcription Projects - Contract work
          National Archives Catalog Adventurer

At the National Archives, transcription work is done by volunteers.  Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions on where you may find paid work.  Hopefully another member of this community may have some ideas.

If you decide to volunteer we have many volunteer opportunities to transcribe and tag historical records online in the National Archives Catalog. This work can be done online from any computer, anywhere, at any time. You can do as little or as much as you want. Everything helps!

You can visit our Citizen Archivist Missions page anytime where we always have missions and individual records to work on. We update this page on a regular basis, so check back often to see what's new. 

If you are new to transcribing, take a look at our Register and Get Started page to sign up for an account, and we also we recommend visiting our Resources page on our dashboard. This page contains step-by-step instructions, as well as video tutorials and guides to walk you through the process.

You might also find our Getting Started videos helpful:  https://www.archives.gov/citizen-archivist/resources#videos

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at citizenarchivist@nara.gov  We are happy to help answer specific questions as you begin to contribute.

Suzanne Isaacs

Community Manager, National Archives Catalog

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: Transcription Projects - Contract work
            Melissa Himes Wayfarer

You might try Transcription Express or Tigerfish.   Both companies have extensive websites that describe the process and have careers sections.