4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2019 4:38 PM by Claudio Kuhn

Signed Law

Claudio Kuhn Newbie

Where are the bills signed by the President kept after they are signed?  Specifically, a bill signed in the 1960s that became a law. 

• Re: Signed Law
          Legislative Archives Adventurer

Hi Claudio -- thanks for posting to the History Hub!

The Center for Legislative Archives houses copies of bills and resolutions and other committee records. However bills signed into law by the President, sometimes referred to as the 'red line' copy, are held by a different unit within the National Archives. Signed laws are housed with Record Group 11 -- General Records of the U.S. Government.

For assistance with RG 11, or to request a copy of a signed law, you can contact the reference branch at Archives I via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Cheers!

Sarah

2 people found this helpful
              Claudio Kuhn Newbie

Legislative Archives/ Sarah.. thank you very much!  That would be archived at the building on the National Mall, correct?  I'm specifically interested in the 1961 Sports Broadcasting Act. 

This is such a cool resource!

Legislative Archives Adventurer

Hi Claudio --

Yes, the Archives I building is located downtown Washington, DC at 700 Pennsylvania Ave NW.

The Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 (also known as PL 87-331 or 75 Stat 732) was originally introduced as H.R. 9096 in the 87th Congress. The bill was referred to both the House and Senate Judiciary Committees. Two reports were issued: House Report 1178 and Senate Report 1087. These reports are accessible via ProQuest Congressional, a subscription database available via computers at National Archives research locations.

In the reports, I see that the House Committee on the Judiciary, Subcommittee on Antitrust held hearings on H.R. 8757 -- a similar bill to H.R. 9096. A copy of the hearing transcript is freely available online via Hathi Trust: Telecasting of Professional Sports Contests (Aug. 28, 1961). And it looks like there was also a similar Senate bill: S. 2427.

The Center for Legislative Archives holds bill files on these bills in the records of the House Committee on the Judiciary and the Senate Committee on the Judiciary. If you're interested in arranging a research visit, please email us at legislative.archives@nara.gov -- we're also located at the Archives I building in DC.

Cheers!

Sarah

2 people found this helpful