1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 20, 2019 10:20 AM by Rebecca Collier

How do I obtain Army Air Corp pilot logs from WWIII

Jean Miller Newbie

Hello

At the National Archives in St. Louis, Missouri is it possible to obtain pilot logs from microfiche?

My dad was a pilot in the Army Air Corp and flew B-24's.  He had 47 missions in the South Pacific Theatre.  His combat years start May 20, 1943-March 27, 1944.  These are the years that I was interested in obtaining his pilot logs.  He was in the 13th Air Force, 31st Bomb Squadron, 5th Bomb Group.

JAM

• Re: How do I obtain Army Air Corp pilot logs from WWIII
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Miller,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Flight records of separated Army Air Corps personnel were collected at the time of separation by Army transfer point personnel. These along with the personnel, medical, and dental records were retired to the National Archives at St. Louis. Please completed a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail to the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. 

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 27 file units of the 5th Bomb Group in the series World War II Combat Operations Reports, 1941 - 1946 in the Records of the Army Air Forces (Record Group 18). They do NOT contain individual combat records of missions flown or a record of flying times. We were unable to locate specific records of the 31st Bomb Squadron in this series.  Records of squadrons sometimes were incorporated into the files of the group. For access to and/or copies of these file units, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

The National Archives and Records Administration also has custody of microfilm copies of operational records relating to U.S. Army Air Corps units. The index to the Air Force History microfilm is available at https://www.airforcehistoryindex.org/. Addition records of the 5th Bomb Group and the 31st Bomb Squadron may be located using this index. If you locate records of interest, please contact RDT2.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 of 1 people found this helpful