1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 19, 2019 12:52 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking incident log for 68th Explosive Ordnance Detachment (EOD) in Ravenna, OH in 1973?

Stephen Veik Newbie

I was assigned to the 68th EOD in Ravenna Ohio in 1973 and I am looking for information concerning incident that I was involved in that year. How do I find the Incident log for that unit and that year?

Our unit was contacted by the Toledo Ohio Police department concerning a box full of dynamite sitting in the back of an van in an automotive salvage yard. My commanding Office and I responded to the request and found over 20 sticks of dynamite  deteriorating in a box. We had to remove each stick one at a time to record serial number information, I had removed about half of the sticks when I found 5 or 6 blasting caps laying in nitroglycerin on the bottom of the box (the box was a dynamite box that was wax lined) and the temperature on that day was close 100 degrees.

We had to move the dynamite to an open field  to dispose of it. I need to find out an approximate date that this incident happened. Any suggestions on how I can find this information?

• Re: Seeking incident log for 68th Explosive Ordnance Detachment (EOD) in Ravenna, OH in 1973?
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Veik,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The U.S. Army Combat Readiness/Safety Center (USACR/SAFETY CENTER) is the repository and release authority for Army safety accident reports prepared in accordance with Department of the Army Pamphlet 385-40, Army Accident Investigation and Reporting, and Army Regulation 385-10, the Army Safety Program.  For access to Army Ground Accidents Reports from 1973 to the present, contact the U.S. Army Combat Readiness/Safety Center, ATTN: CSSC-SS (FOIA), 4905 5th Avenue, Fort Rucker, AL 36362-5363.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!