1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 11, 2019 11:24 AM by Rebecca Collier

Colonial Immigration to Pennsylvania ca 1650

SUSAN GREENE Newbie

I am looking for ship passenger lists for Matthew Gossett, resident of either Jersey in the Channel Isles or London, England. Arrived in 1650. I have the following information from the Passenger and Immigration Lists Index:

Accession 9998803212

Gale Id: 2822589

Source Publication Code: 9228.50

I have no idea what the above means or how to use it to get proof of arrival, ship name, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Re: Colonial Immigration to Pennsylvania ca 1650
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Greene,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Gale Research published the data that an individual named P. William Filby gathered, but it looks like the original source of the information for Matthew Gossett was from a book by Turk, Marion G. The Quiet Adventurers in North America. Parts 1 and 2. Bowie, MD: Heritage Books, 1993. (670p). It may be worthwhile to track down the Turk book and actually see the reference to Gossett in case additional information can be gleaned from seeing it in context. Unfortunately, the information in the Index they found will not lead to a specific passenger list.

For additional information, we suggest contacting The National Archives of the United Kingdom, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU, United Kingdom and the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

3 people found this helpful