1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 11, 2019 10:40 AM by Rebecca Collier

1880 Federal Census NYC Manhattan help please

Colleen Schupp Newbie

Hello, I am tracking my ancestors. I believe I found them on the 1870 Federal census, Washington Street Ward 1 ED 2 in Manhattan New York City.

I have been searching for their names as well as Washington Street in the 1880 Census and have never found either. I am wondering if Washington Street records have not been digitized or damaged or missing? Any help is greatly appreciated. Colleen

• Re: 1880 Federal Census NYC Manhattan help please
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Schupp,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We were unable to find Washington Street in Manhattan on the 1880 census records using a direct search. Were you browsing using the 1870 ED? If so, you won’t find it that way in 1880 because the EDs had greatly changed between those two census years. 

One way we located Washington Street on Ancestry.com was to put “Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA” in the Lived In field and “Washington Street” in the Keyword field on the search form for the 1880 Census.  You could try that search, but add in a first name and surname (or just surname) to narrow the results.

If you have the specific address on Washington Street from 1870, you may have luck using Steve Morse’s ED finder for 1880: https://stevemorse.org/ed/ed.php?year=1880&state=NY&keywords=&county=New%20York%20City-Manhattan.  You would need to put the house number and street name in as a Keyword.  Based on those results she could browse the pages within the specific ED on Ancestry or FamilySearch.

We hope this information helps. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

1 person found this helpful