1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 5, 2019 2:03 PM by Rebecca Collier

    How to prove grandfather was in military and obtain a headstone?


      How can I check for a military record to prove a grandfather was in military during WWI and possibly obtain a marker for his unmarked grave? William Vincent Mitsky (my grandfather) is listed on a US Army transport list as William Mitsky, CPL, 113th Infantry, 29th Division. Serial # 1278619.   What would I need to do to obtain a gravestone or marker or his grave? 

        • Re: How to prove grandfather was in military and obtain a headstone?
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Ms. Keeler,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you begin by requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1957 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Enclosed is a GSA Standard Form 180 which you should complete and mail to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Or you may apply online at https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/


          To obtain a headstone for your grandfather, you need to apply for one. Please contact the National Cemetery Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs, 810 Vermont Avenue, NW., Washington, DC  20420 or fill out an electronic application online at www.cem.va.gov.  For more information, send an email to mps.headstones@va.gov.


          We hope this information is helpful.