5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2019 9:27 AM by Lauren Algee

In Progress

Henry Rosenberg Adventurer

I sometimes alternate transcribing with reviewing. I have noticed a lot of entries marked "In Progress". I check them and edit or complete them but my question for the moderators is this. Should we use "In Progress" only as a tool to save transcriptions we want to review later? I feel it is being overused and instead entries should be saved and marked for review. I don't want to complete someone elses work if they want to do it themselves but I also don't want to leave those entries in limbo.

• Re: In Progress
          Victoria Van Hyning Adventurer

Hi Henry,

'In progress' is a state or label that the BTP website and underlying database that saves everyone's work assigns to a transcription that has not been saved but submitted for review or which has been submitted for review but then reopened for an edit and not resubmitted for review. It's not an action or label that volunteers are applying to their own work. Not sure if that's what you're asking, but I include that information here just in case.

The website is not capable of knowing whether someone intends to come back to their saved transcription or whether they have done what they can, saved their work, and moved on to something else. We understand that it's a little confusing, and in fact in our current web development cycle we've slightly changed the text that you'll see when you open a page that's in progress. At the moment there's a message over the transcription window that reads: "In progress Transcription", which we are changing to "In progress Someone started this transcription. Can you finish it?"

I hope that clarifies things Henry. My suggestion is to try to complete the pages and move them into review or focus on review if you feel so inclined. We're also improving that experience this development cycle, and I believe those changes will all be released on Monday February 4th.

Thanks as ever for your thoughtful work on the project,

Victoria

1 of 1 people found this helpful

I guess I was asking for your guidance for all transcribers and wanted you to encourage people to save and submit for review unless they intend to edit later. You sort of did that. Also, one other thing I found was that people will open a document, do nothing(maybe it overwhelms them which is understandable) but save the blank page. It happens rarely but  I would encourage people who open a page they don't want to transcribe to leave it and move on. IMHO.

suzanne piecuch Adventurer

Looking forward to seeing those changes, Victoria.

It still confuses me when something I transcribed and submitted for review is labeled "transcription in progress" days later... I figured out that editing a document is also called "transcription." I suppose it's understandable that the system doesn't differentiate; all it knows is that someone's typing.

I do like the "can someone finish this" idea.

Henry: were you suggesting maybe giving us the option to tag our transcriptions as "in progress," having the power to put things on hold for a limited time? Whether or not that was your intention, I do like that thought. I would certainly use that on those long broadsheet news documents! One tends to like to finish what one has started, but it's not always possible.

Thank you!

Suzanne.

What I was suggesting is that transcribers not submit for review only if they intend to go back to it themselves. Otherwise they can be forgotten. Transcribers need to take responsibility for keeping the process moving and cannot rely on other transcribers or moderators. They need to understand that when they submit for review, we understand that their transcription may be incomplete and some words will be completely wrong. That's okay. We all have that trouble. However, it is the only way we can correct errors. I have submitted the same transcriptions for review twice which means they have been reviewed 3 times. I'm not insulted. It's part of the process and I have made mistakes. This process is for history and posterity. We are all working together to make sure we are as accurate as possible so people should not be afraid to submit something that is incomplete. It was their best effort and we all appreciate it.

Lauren Algee Adventurer

Yes! I think you hit the nail on the head here: "This process is for history and posterity. We are all working together to make sure we are as accurate as possible so people should not be afraid to submit something that is incomplete. It was their best effort and we all appreciate it."

1 of 1 people found this helpful