1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 31, 2019 3:03 PM by Rebecca Collier

Prisoner of war camps in Germany

David Cohn Newbie

First time on group, so my apologies if I don't do something correctly. During World War II, representatives of the International Red Cross inspected and reported on the condition of prisoner of war camps in Germany. I understand that copies were sent to the governments represented by the prisoners. Does anyone know if NARA now holds the reports that were sent to the United States (possibly to the State Department)? If so, where can I find them?

• Re: Prisoner of war camps in Germany
          Rebecca Collier Pioneer

Dear Mr. Cohn,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The American Red Cross records in the custody of the US National Archives do not include separate files of POW camp inspection reports.  While there are files on some POW camps in the 1935-1946 central file, there are many camps missing from the American Red Cross finding aid.

There may be some inspection reports dispersed among files created by the military but we are unaware of a discrete set among NARA’s holdings.

We suggest that they might be in the archives of the International Red Cross held in Geneva, Switzerland. They web site is https://www.icrc.org/en/archives.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful