6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2019 1:46 PM by Rebecca Collier

I am looking for records for my grandfather-Joseph N Christman

Dale Dewitt Newbie

Looking for service records including any citations, for my grandfather Joseph N Christman

I found the following and want to verify and find out more:

Joseph N Christman

A.S.N. : 17157314
      DOB : 1924
      NATIONALITY : AMERICAN
      UNIT : 101ST A.D. - 501ST PIR - 3RD BN - CO.
      ENLISTMENT
      DATE : 1942
      RESIDENCE : KANSAS (KS), NEMAHA COUNTY
      PLACE : MINNESOTA - FT SNELLING
      EDUCATION : UNKNOW
      CIVILIAN OCCUPATION : UNKNOW
      MARITAL STATUS : UNKNOW
      EVENT 1 TO 1
      DATE : JUNE 6, 1944
      UNIT : 101ST A.D. - 501ST PIR - 3RD BN - CO. I
      EVENT : BRONZE STAR MEDAL  
      SOURCE : 101ST AD - GENERAL ORDERS #1944-21

I heard too that he was captured at some point.

My wife and I are going to Normandy in May and I would love to have more information about his service

Thanks,

Dale

• Re: I am looking for records for my grandfather-Joseph N Christman
          Elliot Schneider Tracker

Mr. Dewitt,

I found him in my book, he was listed as Wounded/POW Wardin, Belgium. Also listed the bronze star GO# for 1944. No other documented citations listed. I would advise that you try to get him upgraded for the purple heart especially if there is documentation regarding him being wounded. It may also be beneficial for you to seek out his VA records since he may over the years went to seek treatment at the VA. They may also have records of him after liberation being sent to hospital in Belgium.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: I am looking for records for my grandfather-Joseph N Christman
            Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Dewitt,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We checked the World War II Order of Battle and the 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR) was not attached to the 101st Airborne Division but the 502nd PIR was. Therefore, we searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940 - 1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General’s Office, 1905-1981 (Record Group 407) and located histories for August 1942 to July 1944; after action reports for December 1944 to February 1945 and April to May 1945; reports of activity for 21 February to 2 March 1944; unit studies for June & September 1944; field orders for 3rd Battalion for 28 May 1944; general orders for 1942-1943; etc. of the 502nd PIR. 101st Airborne Division General Order No. 21 (1944) includes Joseph N. Christman under the listing for Bronze Star. For access to and/or copies of these files, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Morning reports for Army units for WWII are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), MO. Please contact RL-SL for access to these records. The address is the National Archives in St. Louis, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002 and the email address is stl.archives@nara.gov.

RL-SL also has microfilm copies of most of the monthly rosters from 1912-43 and 1947-59 for Army units. Please be aware that rosters for units serving in World War II from 1944-46 were destroyed in accordance with Army disposition authorities.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!  

1 of 1 people found this helpful