1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 19, 2019 9:29 AM by Rebecca Collier

Need morning reports & flight manifest for the EC-121 radar planes during Vietnam War & activities of 669th AEW&C.

dorena lewis Newbie

Searching for military records pertaining to the morning reports and flight manifest for the EC-121 radar planes during the Vietnam war. Also about the activities of the 669th AEW&C.

My father, T/Sgt Raymond Rachall, was a chief radar operator involved in  major campaigns during the Viet Nam war called College Eye/ Big Eye, or Operation Rolling Thunder. There is a pic of him on the Dean Boys website (but his name is spelled wrong). George Merriman was his pilot and there are some pretty good stories relating to the way they had to fly to stay out of the radar range of the enemy.  I am trying to prove that those planes had to land on the ground and that the men got off the plane to stretch their legs and move about. Perhaps they were billeted in a barracks if they were flying two days in a row. If so i need someone that would remember that they did in fact land or someone would have gotten off the plane. They would probably have parked in Korat; Ton Son Knute; maybe (not probably) Da Nang. i need those morning reports and/ or flight manifests to show where the plane landed and where it was going on an official mission. Even if they landed at Monkey mountain and got off the plane for a minute it would be something. can anyone help me with these historic events. I need corroboration. Can you help?

• Re: Need morning reports & flight manifest for the EC-121 radar planes during Vietnam War & activities of 669th AEW&C.
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Lewis,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog for Airborne Early Warning & Control records and located 1 series, 3 file units, and 2 items.  The series and file units are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2). Please contact RDT2 via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. The two items are motion pictures and are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Motion Picture (RDSM). Please contact RDSM via email at mopix@nara.gov.

Morning reports for Air Force units are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). Please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

Military records in NARA custody do not include Air Force flight manifests, cargo manifests, or passenger lists.  These are not considered permanent records. Under normal Department of the Air Force records management procedures, such documentation would be destroyed after initial administrative use.

Individual Flight Records of separated Air Force personnel and Aircrew Mission Flight Data are maintained for 56 years. For information concerning the location of these records, we suggested that you contact the Air Force Records Manager, Department of the Air Force, SAF/A6PPA (C&I Policy Branch), 1800 Air Force Pentagon, Washington, DC 20330.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your search!

2 of 2 people found this helpful