8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2019 2:19 PM by Rebecca Collier

burial location for army veteran

I know when and I think where (records shows last residence) my father died. However, I cannot locate which cemetery he is buried in.

• Re: burial location for army veteran
          Elliot Schneider Navigator

Lillian,

You have any additional information on your father

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful

Thank you for answering  I do have additional info including.the US Dept of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, via Ancestry. I also have parents, spouses. etc.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I have his DOB, DOD, PARENTS, SPOUSES, ZIP CODE OF LAST RESIDENCE.

Now I understand. Name Carl Covington Jr. DOB 5 Dec 1918 Tatum, Marlboro County. SC DOD 1 Mar 1986 last residence Washington, DC 20010. Two spouses Thelma Lester and Dorothy Eliz. Fields . His name is  listed in the US Dept of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File. Which leads me to believe he was buried as a veteran.    

Elliot Schneider Navigator

Lillian,

Just had a thought do you know where he last was a resident of. You may try going to the county/city register of deeds where he was last resident of. Not sure if he lived in North Carolina or moved. The VA BIRLS is records showing that he was in the VA system at sometime receiving either treatment or benefits. I've tried using another source for death notices, but not sure if he lived in another state.

Elliot

1 person found this helpful
                    Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Barnes,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If he died while in the military, the information you seek may be contained in his burial case file (later called the Individual Deceased Personnel File or IDPF). Burial case files from 1915-1939 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, ATTN: RL-SL, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Please contact them regarding access to these records. Their email address is stl.archives@nara.gov.

For 1940-1976, the National Archives at St. Louis currently holds the Army Individual Deceased Personnel Files for men with surnames A-L. They have not yet received the records of veterans with surnames M-Z. In order to request those records please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC

1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405.

If a family member requested a military headstone for your father, the headstone application, if dated after 1924, is in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). See above for contact information.

For information relating to American overseas cemeteries and to former military personnel buried overseas, please send an email to info@abmc.gov. Also, there is a nationwide gravesite locator available online at https://gravelocator.cem.va.gov/j2ee/servlet/NGL_v1.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research! 

2 people found this helpful