2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2019 3:26 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking Muster Roll of USS Knapp, WWII

Susan Fudge-Will Newbie

I'm wanting to see what ship my uncle William Neel, from Ohio, served on during WWII.  I think it was the USS Knapp. Where can I find a list?

• Re: Seeking Muster Roll of USS Knapp, WWII
          Dave Kerr Adventurer

According to Fold3, TM3c William Earl Neel, 613 16 90, was transferred off the USS Knapp (DD653)

on 5 March 1945. He joined ship's company on 17 September 1943.

The Muster Roll states he was to report to San Diego for course of instr.  "R/S T.I., Calif.

FFT FF Sch (Adv. Torp. Enl)"

Page 19 of the 1945 Muster Rolls.

Dave

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking Muster Roll of USS Knapp, WWII
            Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Fudge-Will,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) and located deck logs of the USS Knapp (DD-653) from 16 September 1943 to 5 July 1946. We also located muster rolls of the Knapp for the same time period. For access to or copies of the deck logs and muster rolls, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

As part of an ongoing commitment to preserve records, the National Archives has entered into partnerships with fold3 to digitize some of NARA's holdings. The muster rolls you seek are now available in digital form and can be viewed online via https://go.fold3.com/. There may be a fee for this service. Or you may view these records online at one NARA's facilities for free via ALIC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful