3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2019 1:05 PM by Victoria Van Hyning

Format

Natalie Buck Newbie

I have been volunteer transcribing over on the Smithsonian's site for over a year, and have gotten used to their formatting requirements/suggestions - but haven't seen similar requirements/suggestions for Library of Congress documents. I have been typing up "Left Handed Penmanship" documents  in the Smithsonian-preferred style, but when I reviewed a few other persons transcriptions I noticed they didn't make distinctions for font, signatures, seals, etc.

For example, stationary with some preprinting would usually look like:

[[preprinted]] Office of the Quartermaster [[/preprinted]]

23^rd Jan^y 1864

[[line]]

Dear Sir,

In response to your letter of January 20^th, your request for requisition of twenty (20) blankets is hereby approved.

[[signature]] John Smith [[/signature]]

Quartermaster

What SHOULD I be doing? Am I'm giving someone a headache noting all that?

• Re: Format
          Victoria Van Hyning Adventurer

Hello Natalie and welcome to the project,

The transcription conventions for By the People are lighter weight than those on the Smithsonian project. You can read more here: https://crowd.loc.gov/help-center/  Our priority is the text on the page, rather than mirroring layout. The searchable interface where the transcriptions will live in the long term present the texts alongside the original images, so those who are interested in the format of the original document will be able to see it.

Thanks for your question,

Victoria, Community Manager

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            Beth Graham Adventurer

Hi, Natalie! (Another Smithsonian transcriber waving to you.)

Victoria Van Hyning already answered your question, but things are more streamlined here, aren't they? What I've been finding is that each transcription project (Smithsonian, Library of Congress, National Archives, etc.) has its own conventions, and the easiest thing is to just erase everything I think I know about transcription from my brain and start from scratch "learning the system."

For me, I find it helpful to make myself a "cheat sheet" in a Word document and have that open while I'm working. (I also keep the how to transcribe webpages handy while I'm working.)

If you're on Twitter, follow me as @zagraham and we can ask each other questions about weird stuff we find as we work on transcriptions both here and at the Smithsonian.

Best--

Beth

Victoria Van Hyning Adventurer

Hi Beth, and anyone else who wants to chat on Twitter as well as History Hub, we'd be grateful if you could mention our @Crowd_LOC account so we can help share what you find with others. Or equally if you want to cross post here, that would be very much appreciated.

Happy transcribing and reviewing

-Victoria

1 of 1 people found this helpful