1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 15, 2019 9:33 AM by Lauren Algee

clarification on "minor errors" and price punctuation

suzanne piecuch Adventurer

Two questions:

<Preserve original spelling unless the author seems to have made a minor error, such as writing “teh” instead of “the”>

Good Morning!  I guess this is a question for Victoria and Lauren...

I've gotten stuck sometimes on the "minor error" caveat that's in the "how to transcribe" instructions. It's stopped me in the past from transcribing newspaper articles that had typos: Being on a printed page, it's obvious what the words are meant to be; and working in newspapers, I know that with deadlines and old-style typesetting, errors might've been allowed through for lack of time to correct them... So, with newspapers, when do you determine what is, or isn't, a "minor" error?

I am going all-out and just transcribing those exactly, as has been stated in answer to other people's questions--- so whether it's "teh" or "advesary," that's what I'll be going with. Does that make sense? It'll unlock me and allow me to plow through some printed text.

I have further questions on this piece I just reviewed and saved. In this one (link below) there's a list of prices, with spaces in lieu of dots, for example $4 00  instead of $4.00. The transcriber added the dots, and I left them, not having found reference to that in discussions.

https://crowd.loc.gov/campaigns/letters-to-lincoln/1858-1859-presidential-nomination/mal0080300/mal0080300-4/

I would think the "leave it as is" rule would apply to this, but I didn't feel I knew enough to change the transcription in this case.

At any rate, it's up for review again, so changes can still be made.

Thanks in advance!

Suzanne.

• Re: clarification on "minor errors" and price punctuation
          Lauren Algee Adventurer

A great question about minor errors. In both cases I would come to the same conclusion you did and would not correct or add. We're creating these transcripts with quite a few uses in mind, but there will be many others that we can't anticipate. Much like expanding abbreviations, making "corrections" introduces assumptions by the volunteer that may not always be correct. We are going to be reviewing and updating the instructions over the next few weeks and this is something I hope we can clarify during that process.

I appreciate your attention to detail. There will always be gray areas, but ultimately we ask volunteers to do their best and use their best judgement. Thanks for thinking this through and sharing your thought process here.

1 of 1 people found this helpful