2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2019 6:39 PM by suzanne piecuch

reviewing long newspaper documents

suzanne piecuch Adventurer

This is a tag-along comment on recent discussions about the possibility of inaccuracies getting published, and also an encouragement to stay alert when reading loooong printed materials.

A couple of weeks ago, I was reviewing this transcription

https://www.loc.gov/resource/mal.0047300/?sp=1

when I came across three instances of word substitution. I corrected them, but it left me wondering what's to stop a mis-transcription from getting through.

The first instance struck me as being done in jest, and it surprised me so that i laughed! After the third instance I didn't know what to think!

Here are the three instances I found:

1st col, 3rd graf: "...too prolix for this bridged exposure..."

was transcribed as "too prolix for this messed up exposure"

2nd col, 2nd full graf: "Note: His mode of operation is too prolix for this expose"

was transcribed as "....too full of words for this expose"

2nd col, 4th full graf: "1.'There is yet an hiatus (opening) through which...'"

was transcribed as "There is yet a gap..."

Stay on your toes!!

Suzanne.

• Re: reviewing long newspaper documents
          Beth Graham Adventurer

Thanks for the reminder! I find it's helpful to take frequent breaks when working on these densely packed pages. For a break, leave the computer and walk around the house for a few minutes, or at the very least, stare off into the distance for a bit (so you work your eyes differently).

• Re: reviewing long newspaper documents
              suzanne piecuch Adventurer

Hi Beth,

Yes indeed!

My other strategy is to break things up with a short transcription or two.

I recently transcribed a verrrry long (4-col broadsheet with dense type and a 3-column run-on paragraph!) that I worked on over a 2-day stretch--- before I realized documents get released after 20 minutes of inactivity. However, lucky me, it ended up being mine in the end.

The never-ending paragraph gave little visual respite, and no easy stop-points. I imagined a reviewer tsk-tsking at the shovelful of typos I'm sure I made!

Suzanne.