3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2019 2:54 PM by Rebecca Collier

rough log for WWII vessel LCI 438

Jacob Boyd Newbie

I would like to read the rough log for WWII vessel LCI 438. My grandfather was the quartermaster from late 1943 through most of 1944. Is the logbook digitized, or would I need to come to College Park to look at it? Thank you.

• Re: rough log for WWII vessel LCI 438
          Robert Wright Wayfarer

Jacob

You can go to Fold3.com

If you don't have a Fold3 or Ancestry  account use the guest account privileges

Look under WWII - War Diaries

Search with key word LCI(G) 438

It will provide you with information from 1944 and 1945

Change the key word to LCI(L) 438 and search again

It will provide you with information from 1943

All the information Fold3 provides is from the National Archives

As a note the LCI 438 saw extensive action in the Pacific.

Especially read the Rep of ops in the invasion of Iwo Jima.

If you need any more information, feel free to ask

Robert Wright

USS LCI National Assn

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              Jacob Boyd Newbie

Thank you, Robert! You may recall receiving an email from me a few months back - asking about the total number of LCI involved in the Pacific and saying that I was writing a poem about my grandfather. Well, I was delighted to see your name pop back up here. I'm still at it, and I'll follow up on your advice here ASAP.

Jacob Boyd

Rebecca Collier Pioneer

Dear Mr. Boyd,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) and located deck logs of LCI-438 from 3 August 1943 to 30 November 1943, January 1944 to 30 April 1944, and June 1944 to August 1945. These logbooks have not been digitized. For access to or copies of these deck logs, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

According to the Department of the Navy records management regulations, only the deck logs of major combatant and support ships are considered permanent records and eventually accessioned into the custody of the National Archives. Other types of logs (rough, engineer, engine room, quarter deck, sick bay or sick call, radio, and quartermaster) are deemed to be temporary records and destroyed by the Navy after initial administrative use.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful