1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 30, 2019 10:47 AM by Rebecca Collier

    a files registration number and naturalization records?


      hello I have found my grandfathers naturalization card on the archives and it does have the alien registration number but I can not find anything about his files. im trying to find out as much info that he gave and possibly a village he was born in, he is from Greece so im hoping to find as much of this info as possible.  help please where can I find more info and where  do I get the records

        • Re: a files registration number and naturalization records?
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Casey Garrett,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If you located the naturalization index card through the National Archives Online Catalog, you can email the location listed under Contacts in the catalog description.  The staff of that office will be able to guide you in locating your grandfather’s Petition for Naturalization.


          The Alien Registration Number may lead you to additional records at the National Archives.  All Alien Files (A-Files) currently maintained by the National Archives are name and/or Alien Registration Number (ex. A1234567) searchable in our Online Catalog (catalog.archives.gov).  You will be looking for results with the title “Alien Case File for [individual’s name]” or “A-File for [individual’s name].” If you find a result that is of interest, be sure to read the Scope and Content Note to learn more about the subject of the record.  To learn more about the file contents and obtain a copy of the record, you can send an email to the location listed under Contacts. 


          If you cannot find your individual in the catalog using name and/or Alien Registration Number, it is because the National Archives does not currently maintain the Alien Registration record you are seeking.  To continue your search contact the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). The USCIS maintains all A-Files that have not yet transferred into the holdings of the National Archives. If the Alien Registration Number is below 8 million, you will need to contact the USCIS Genealogy Program (www.uscis.gov/genealogy).  If the Alien Registration Number is above 8 million, you will need to submit a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to USCIS (www.uscis.gov/g-639).


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          [Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]


          2 people found this helpful