2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2019 4:47 PM by Robert Levline

Looking for roster of Co. E 2d US Cavalry, January, 1868

Robert Levline Newbie

Great grandfather per Civil War Pension Records enlisted January 3, 1865 (Cincinnati, OH) was assigned to 2d US Cavalry, Co. E, and was discharged January 3, 1868. Per family oral history he enlisted under an assumed name (not Frederick Leveline) and probably was an apprentice blacksmith. The documents may be in Group 391 NARA records (391.3.2) to see who was discharged and possibly his enlisted name.

• Re: Looking for roster of Co. E 2d US Cavalry, January, 1868
          Rebecca Collier Pioneer

Dear Mr. Levline,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 58 series of Muster Rolls for the Civil War and afterwards. For access to or copies of, please contact the National Archives unit that has custody of the records. Please keep in mind that even though he enlisted in Ohio, the 2nd U.S. Calvary was in Texas and then moved to Pennsylvania. See a short history of the 2nd U.S. Cavalry. So the roster you need may be in Philadelphia.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            • Re: Looking for roster of Co. E 2d US Cavalry, January, 1868
              Robert Levline Newbie

Thanks Rebecca for the good information.  Since my original posting I have researched two (2) excellent references for the 2d Cavalry during this period: 1) 100 Years with the Second US Cavalry, J. Lambert; and 2) From Everglade to Canon with the 2d Dragoons, T.F. Rodenbough.  For my period of interest (Jan 1865 through Jan 1868) the 2d with depleted manpower (3 officers, 111 enlisted) performed picket and patrol duties in and around Winchester, VA until the end of the Civil War.  On July 28th they went to Monrovia, MD to "recruit and strengthen their force".  In October-November 1865 they sailed to Ft Leavenworth, then dispersed by company to various forts. In the fall of 1866 the 2d was ordered to The Department of the Platte and again dispersed by companies to various forts in the Dakota Territory.

Now my challenge is to figure out my great grandfather's movements from Cincinnati enlistment to joining the 2d.

I believe the documents you provided may yield the information necessary to solve that riddle.

Thanks again for your help.