5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2019 7:31 PM by Melissa Himes

Can more than one transcriber work on the same document at the same time?

Cindy Harris Newbie

As I was working on transcribing a document, it kept "bumping me" to save even after just a few words.  I know we need to save often, and I do, but this wasn't normal to the work I've previously completed.  I left that document and went to another in my list.  The next day, I see that 2 other transcribers had completed some of the same document in an approximate same time as I was attempting to transcribe.

Wouldn't it be better to somehow "lock" a document from being opened by more than 1 transcriber at a time?  What if we were working on the same page???

• Re: Can more than one transcriber work on the same document at the same time?
          National Archives Catalog Adventurer

When transcribing records in the National Archives Catalog, only one person can work on a page at a time.  But other people can work on other pages in the record.  We encourage you to save your work often so that any computer blips or break in your internet connection won't result in lost work.

Email us if you have any questions - citizenarchivist@nara.gov

Suzanne

Community Manager, National Archives Catalog

1 of 2 people found this helpful
              Melissa Himes Wayfarer

I don't think it is a break in our internet connection.   I have never experienced a break during transcribing.  I have repeatedly experienced the same problem that Cindy related.  We are in the middle of typing and a pop-up appears that says something like "due to inactivity" the document will be released in 5 minutes.  If you don't immediately hit Save, it is gone.  We do not have 5 minutes.   Sometimes the work disappears without any prior warning.  There are times when you have to save your work after every five words.  This has been happening since I began using the site four years ago. 

Cindy Harris Newbie

I agree, Melissa.  Just yesterday I was working on transcribing a document.  Since it was a rather lengthy document, I was saving after every paragraph.  On the 2nd paragraph, which was only a few lines on the original, I was literally moving my mouse to hit SAVE when everything since my last SAVE disappeared!  This is very frustrating.  I type very quickly, and transcribing takes longer than it should when I have to move my hand from the keyboard to the mouse to run over and hit SAVE.

I also don't understand why the cursor doesn't automatically revert back to the last location of transcription.  So, now I have to move the mouse back over to the transcription area.  It seems a very poor design, but I still enjoy this volunteer service.  So much needs to be found by researchers.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      National Archives Catalog Adventurer

Oh no!  I'm so sorry to hear that you've encountered these difficulties.  This is something our developers will need to investigate.  It will be very hard for them to recreate the error, but if you send the url, page number of the record as well as the date and time if happened, they can investigate.  Send the information to us at catalog@nara.gov

We also would like to hear any feedback or suggestions for new how-to videos found on our Resources page.  We appreciate your work as a Citizen Archivist and want to make easy to participate.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Suzanne

Community Manager, National Archives Catalog

Melissa Himes Wayfarer

Thanks, Suzanne.  I will be happy to keep a log of the occurrences.  I have been trying to figure it out the glitch for a few years.  It occurs more on documents which are at the top of the selection list.  This led me to think that when someone clicks on the same file, it signals the pop-up.  Some nights are worse than others.  Hopefully, we can help the developers find the reason and solve the problem. 

I watched the new videos.  On the "Getting Started Video", it might be helpful to add something at the 1:24 mark to direct the viewer to the Transcription Tips link.  I don't think they are referred to in the How to Tag and Transcribe video either.  In the How to Tag and Transcribe Video, the first instruction is to follow the order & layout as closely as possible (4:32 mark).  Later, at about 5:56, the narrator states that format doesn't matter.  That could be confusing.  Perhaps a reference to transcription tips fits in at that minute. In addition to the menu item Resources, another one maybe something like "How To Videos" might better direct users to the videos. 

The examples in the Transcription Tips need to be properly transcribed and locked for further editing.  The examples don't always follow the instructions.