1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 12, 2019 10:55 AM by Rebecca Collier

How to obtain replacement birth record for mother born in DP camp during WWII

C Davis Newbie

My mother was born in 1942, while her parents were in an at-the-time occupied German town (now in Poland), and from what I know, the only record would have been kept in a church. Archives in both Germany and Poland turn up nothing, and after receiving help from someone on the ground in Poland, he was told the nazis destroyed many records.

Through the FOIA I have some records of my grandparents' immigration, but specifics about the children were blacked out by Homeland Security. I am still continuing to pursue, through FOIA, her individual records, which may or may not have a copy of whatever she came into the country with, and if anything references her birth.

Presuming many people have been in the same predicament -- after WWII entering the country with no physical birth record, or if their records were destroyed, I feel like there must be a process to have some sort of record recreated, but with no "proof", other than a mention of the town in some unofficial documents, I don't know how to get her a birth record.

• Re: How to obtain replacement birth record for mother born in DP camp during WWII
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear C. Davis,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the Records of the U.S. High Commission for Germany (Record Group 466) and located a series titled Children's Resettlement Case Files, 9/1949 - 3/15/1954 of unaccompanied minors in Displaced Person Camps under the control of the U.S.. Some of these case files include birth certificates or affidavits determining the date of birth of the child. For access to or copies of these files, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We also searched the Office of Military Government for Germany in the Records of United States Occupation Headquarters, World War II (Record Group 260) but were unable to locate any additional information.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 of 1 people found this helpful