2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2019 10:44 AM by Carlos Lopez

Cuban Crisis,  Where was the USS Bon Homme Richard deployed in October 1962?

Carlos Lopez Newbie

I was aboard the "Bonnie Dick" enroute to Madras India and we were sent to the frigid north off the coast of Siberia  on Oct. 1962.  Sea of Ostkost?? Sakhalien peninsula??? or __________>   All I remember is Fighter Bombers were at the ready on the Cats. loaded and manned.  We wore face masks and it was cold.

• Re: Cuban Crisis,  Where was the USS Bon Homme Richard deployed in October 1962?
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Lopez,

Thank you for posting your three requests on History Hub! We will respond to all three here.

We searched the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) and located deck logs of  the USS Bon Homme Richard (CVA-31) for October 1962. According to the entries the Bon Homme Richard began sailing to Hong Kong from Beppu, Japan on 1 October 1962. It left Hong Kong on 10 October 1962 and headed to Yokosuka, Japan performing various maneuvers on the way, reaching Japan on 15 October 1962. Maneuvers outside of Yokosuka harbor were conducted on 26 October 1962. It joined Task Group 77.4 on 27 October 1962 going up the eastern coast of northern Japan and headed back to Yokosuka on 30 October 1962.

These logbooks have not been digitized. For access to or copies of these deck logs, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

3 people found this helpful
          • Re: Cuban Crisis,  Where was the USS Bon Homme Richard deployed in October 1962?
            Carlos Lopez Newbie

Rebecca Collier Thank you so much. Always wondered about this and this is the most I have heard in 57 years. The good news was we did not have to launch any aircraft to a far eastern target. Interesting enough the Caribbean is once again a real hot spot.