1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 18, 2018 7:45 AM by Holly Rivet

How can I find out what military honors a friend has received?

James ONeill Newbie

How can I find out what military honors a friend has received?

• Re: How can I find out what military honors a friend has received?
          Holly Rivet Adventurer

Dear Mr. ONeill,

Thank you for posting your question to the History Hub!

We recommend requesting his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).  This file will contain basic demographic information, military service related documentation, awards and citations, and more. 

If you are requesting the record of a person separated from service 62 years or more from today's date, then their service record is considered Archival. If, however, the date of separation is within the last 62 years of today's date then the record is non-Archival and may only be requested under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). For more information about this distinction among military records, please see this webpage.

In either case, you will have to complete and submit a Request Pertaining to Military Records form and send it to National Personnel Records Center (Military Personnel Records) 1 Archives Drive St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.  If this person was separated from service within the past 62 years, then indicate on the form that you are submitting this request under FOIA

We hope this information has been helpful!

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

2 of 2 people found this helpful