1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 17, 2018 6:12 PM by Lauren Algee

Public Printer: comment and question

suzanne piecuch Adventurer

Hello All,

Just a comment on how fun the research is while transcribing. I am frequently googling and snooping around to see if I have a name spelled correctly, verifying if there was, indeed, a "Jelinson" (for example) who appears in a civil-war-era search, or if a term or abbreviation is really what I think it is.

I have found a niche of interest for me in tagging: newspaper and printing references, although I'm not sure if tags stick while still in transcription phase.

In my research I discovered that Public Printer was (is?) a governmental office. I've never heard this before, perhaps because I am not a historian, but I found it interesting enough to tag.

I tend to keep transcripts "in progress" until i have a chance to refresh and review them before submitting, and I noticed that my Public Printer tag disappeared... Is this something that should be done after submitting for review (or perhaps I only thought I saved it)? and is "Public Printer" a worthwhile tag (being new to tagging)? It seems to be an official office, as in this reference: "presented for the appointment of Superintendent of public printer under the existing administration."

Thanks for feedback, Suzanne.

• Re: Public Printer: comment and question
          Lauren Algee Adventurer

Thanks for sharing! The Public Printer eventually became the Government Printing Office, which still operates today.  I once toured GPO, which is surprisingly fascinating. In addition to many many government reports, they also print things like presidential inauguration tickets and bind the official copies of Supreme Court decisions. I was lucky enough to see some incredibly skilled book binders and paper marblers in action!

As Victoria noted in a previous discussion, Tags in crowd.loc.gov are an experimental feature and we're excited to see how members of our community will use them. Some people might like to use tags to identify people, places, or things in documents that are not already in the item's description on loc.gov. Others might like to tag things of particular to their students or class, research, hobbies, or as a way of searching through the items they've transcribed. We're working to implement tag search as a feature within crowd.loc.gov.

We also want to understand if tags can someday be included in the metadata describing items in the Library catalog. Your tags could help make items discoverable if you use search terms that are not present in the Library's existing metadata or the transcriptions we will produce on crowd.loc.gov. Another word for this kind of tagging is a "folksonomy".

So in summary, I think tagging government departments, like the Public Printer, is a good idea since terms like those and business and organization names are likely to be useful to your fellow volunteers or future researchers.

1 of 1 people found this helpful