3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2018 12:35 PM by Holly Rivet

Non-archival Morning reports

Elliot Schneider Scout

Hello NARA,

What is the criteria for an individual to obtain Non-archival morning reports. It states that I'm supposed to write to the Army FOIA office. However, either way their staff is confused but when I told them they need to grant permission to access these records they were a little confused. They Department of the Army Freedom of information office wanted to know how they should be granting me permission can it be in the form of an email.

Additionally, when I contacted the Records Management and Declassification Department they reiterated that they are not record holders but simply tell individuals what Agency would be responsive to those records, he told me in this case NPRC would be because they hold the records. Now I'm very confused any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

• Re: Non-archival Morning reports
          Holly Rivet Adventurer

Hello Mr. Schneider,

Thank you for posting your question to the History Hub!

We are very sorry for the confusion.  There has been a change in procedure that has not yet been updated to the webpage.  For non-Archival Morning Reports , please fill out the SF-180 and send it to the National Personnel Record Center.  Be sure to include the required information as outlined in this webpage.  They will redact private information, so there is no need for any sort of authorization from the Army. 

You may also visit the NPRC Public Research Room to view redacted copies of these reports as well.  Please visit their webpage for more information. 

National Personnel Record Center

(Military Personnel Records)

1 Archives Drive

St. Louis, MO

63138-1002

We hope this information has been helpful!

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              Elliot Schneider Scout

Holly,

Thank you for your reply, I sent a description in a written request, along with a SF-180 that way its documented correctly and the have a description of what I'm looking for. The only thing I did not sent with is a check for the initial cost. Will this be okay, probably can send it later once I receive a response. What ate your thoughts.

Elliot Schneider

Holly Rivet Adventurer

Hello Mr. Schneider,

It should be fine.  You will receive an invoice for any fees and/or a Questionaire About Military Service SF-13075 for more information, perhaps both.  You may call our customer service number at 314-801-0800 if you have any specific concerns.  It may be best to wait until you’ve received a response from us that includes a case number (SR xxx…). 

Best of luck with your research!

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

2 of 2 people found this helpful