1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 11, 2018 10:53 AM by Julia Tischer

Postwar Relief Work in Germany

Julia Tischer Newbie

Hello,

I am looking for documents about relief work done in Germany after WW2. I am especially interested in refugees' lives in bunkers and know that CARE carried out much work in bunkers, housing refugees.

Thank you very much,

Julia

• Re: Where do I find documents about WW2 relief work in Germany?
          Alex Champion Adventurer

Hello Julia,

Thank you for submitting your question to History Hub. A search of the National Archives catalog for “Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere” shows a couple of possible leads in Record Group 260, Records of U.S. Occupation Headquarters, World War II, although further research may be necessary to discover the lives of refugees living in bunkers.

The first is “Correspondence Pertaining to German Requests for Assistance, 1949,” National Archives Identifier (NAID) 7794474. This series contains German requests for different kinds of assistance (including CARE packages). The second series is Press Releases, 1947-1949, NAID 7741374, from the Office of the Military Government (OMGUS), which concerns CARE packages (among other matters) and the distribution of food and supplies.

There may be additional references in Record Group 59, General Records of the Department of State, and the Central Decimal Files in particular. We suggest contacting the Archives II reference branch at archives2reference@nara.gov to look into this matter further.

If you find what you’re looking for, please come back and tell us about it!

3 of 3 people found this helpful