1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 16, 2018 11:15 AM by Rebecca Collier

    WWII draft registration

    Kristi Smith Newbie

      I've tracked down a WWII draft registration for a deceased family member. How do I determine whether they were in fact drafted into the war? If the person enlisted voluntarily after completing their draft registration card, would this information still be linked? Thanks in advance!

        • Re: WWII draft registration
          Rebecca Collier Pioneer

          Dear Ms. Smith,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Selective Service records for individuals who served after World War I and born before 1960 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, ATTN: RL-SL, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-0757. There are two types of records: the ledgers and the draft cards.  The ledgers are in the public domain and not restricted by privacy. The draft cards are considered personal information and written permission for release, a death certificate, and/or an indication the information is requested for genealogical purposes should accompany the request for copies of the draft cards. Please use the Selective Service System Records Request Form (NA 13172) to request a search of these records.


          World War II Army Enlistment Records are in the custody of the Electronic Records Division (RDE) and are available via AAD (Access to Archival Databases) on the National Archives website at: https://aad.archives.gov/aad/.  Click on "World War II" under the category section. A list of the databases relating to WWII will appear and select the first database to search the WWII Army Enlistment Record.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          2 of 2 people found this helpful