1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 14, 2018 10:50 AM by Rebecca Collier

Looking for Service Records in WW1?

Ruth Shaffer Newbie

My grandma's brother served in WW1 but I couldn't find his draft card. Looks like he was w/ SD National Guard when they were 'federalized' w/ other states in 1917 into the 'Sandstorm Division' (34th Infantry Div.). Wiki summaries say they never served as one unit but my fam insists he served overseas as a French translator (he was originally from Quebec). Would I be looking for records in SD Archives or NARA or both?

• Re: Looking for Service Records in WW1?
          Rebecca Collier Navigator

Dear Ms. Shaffer,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the series Records of Divisions, 1917 - 1920 in Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (World War I) (Record Group 120) and located 50 boxes of records (approximately 75,000 pages) of records of the 34th Infantry Division during WWI. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2).

The First World War selective service (draft) records (including the 4th registration) are in the custody of the National Archives at Atlanta, 5780 Jonesboro Road, Morrow, GA 30260. Please contact them for access to these records via email at altanta.archives@nara.gov.

In addition, his Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) may be in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire. To reconstruct service records RL-SL uses the WWI Enlisted Men Final Military Pay Vouchers that contain name, rank, organization, date and place of enlistment and, as well as character and date of discharge. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail to National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138.

For additional records that may include personal information about your great uncle, please review NARA’s web pages at https://www.archives.gov/research/genealogy/wwi.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 of 1 people found this helpful