2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2018 7:22 AM by Erin Pittman

Civil War Medical Exemptions

Erin Pittman Newbie

My 3rd Great-grandfather (b. 1840) received a Medical Exemption from service in the US Army in Indiana in 1862.  I know this to be the case because I have letters written by him to his mother in New Hampshire that describes the process he had to go through to get the exemption. Frustratingly, the letters do not refer to the reason for the exemption.  Do those records exist anywhere?  I would love to find them if they do.  He lived in Madison, Indiana and received his exemption in September 1862.

• Re: Civil War Medical Exemptions
          Jenette Parish Adventurer

Dear Ms. Pittman,

Thank you for contacting the History Hub regarding your Civil War ancestor. Letters of correspondence regarding exemptions have been regionalized to area National Archives locations. Indiana records are stored at the National Archives in Chicago. Their contact information is below.

There a few examples of exemption files in our catalog. You may want to review. It looks like there are medical registers of examinations of enrolled men, recruits, substitutes, etc., that contain information about exemptions in the Provost Marshal records (RG 110). But most of that will be in the Regions. Some examples in the catalog include ARC #'s 2770101, 2775112, 2770104, and 7348138 (the last record has been digitized and is available in the catalog).

The National Archives at Chicago   
          7358 South Pulaski Road
          Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898
          (773) 948-9001
          E-mail: chicago.archives@nara.gov
          http://www.archives.gov/chicago/
          Serves Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin.

I hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research.

Jenette Parish

Military Records

3 of 3 people found this helpful