1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 29, 2018 11:14 AM by Rebecca Collier

Service personnel's religious affiliation

Does anyone known where I can find historical demographic data on U.S. military personnel's religious affiliation. I'm interested in data from World War I through the end of the Vietnam Conflict. Thank you in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Sabrina Riley

• Re: Service personnel's religious affiliation
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Riley,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If any military demographic data about religious preferences/affiliation has been collected over the years, it may have been part of a survey or database. The Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC) may have data and it may be part of one of their public databases. Please check their web site at https://discover.dtic.mil/ for this possibility. Or it may have been accessioned by NARA and is in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Electronic Records (RDE). Please contact RDE via emal at cer@nara.gov to check if they have the information you seek.   

If the military has not collected this data as part of a database, you may have to compile it by visiting the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), the National Archives at Washington, DC (RDT1), and the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2). Please refer to NARA’s web pages on planning your research visit

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful