2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2018 12:54 PM by Holly Chamberlain

Seeking Interior Photos of 1938 Army NCO Duplexes

Holly Chamberlain Newbie

The Historic Trust in Vancouver, WA is embarking on renovations of kitchens and baths in NCO duplexes built in 1938 at the U.S. Army's Vancouver Barracks to return them to a more historic appearance. Thus far, we have been unable to locate any early interior photographs of what the spaces looked like originally. The plans for the brick, Colonial Revival buildings are numbered 625-3571 and 625-3572 in Quartermaster Corps File 117. Any assistance on locating interior photos of these same plans built at any Army facility around the country would be greatly appreciated. I have checked with NARA branches known to be relevant, the LC, and logical regional sources. Thanks!

• Re: Seeking Interior Photos of 1938 Army NCO Duplexes
          Rebecca Collier Navigator

Dear Ms. Chamberlain,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the series Records Relating to Equipment and Buildings at Active Army Posts, 1905 - 1942 which is part of RG 92, Records of the Quartermaster General and located several of the files regarding the NCO quarters at Vancouver Barracks. But these files only include photographs of the outside of the buildings, description of the buildings, and the basic blueprints.

If you haven’t earlier, we suggest that you contact the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS) via email at stillpix@nara.gov to see if the photographs may be part of their collections.

We hope this information is useful. Best of luck with your research!

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking Interior Photos of 1938 Army NCO Duplexes
              Holly Chamberlain Newbie

Dear Rebecca: A belated thank you for your foray into RG 92. Yes, I have contacted Still Pictures but unfortunately they do not have any relevant images either. Several searches through other NARA facilities near bases where the buildings were constructed have not turned up anything, and local historical organizations also do not have any images. At the suggestion of a co-worker, I am now trying to work with veteran's organizations to see if they are willing to crowd-source my query. I may be able to find connections to people who lived in the homes. Thanks again!