2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2018 1:21 PM by Rebecca Collier

What kinds of materials can I transcribe?

Rebecca Collier Navigator

I would like to help transcribe records. What types/kinds are available? I am specifically interested in 18th & 19th Century Founding Fathers letters and speeches.

• Re: What kinds of materials can I transcribe?
          Victoria Van Hyning Adventurer

Hi Rebecca, you're in for a treat! We're starting with a variety of Campaigns (thematic groupings of material from Library of Congress collections), including "Letters to Lincoln". These letters and other documents are from a range of family, friends, lawyers, politicians, constituents and others in Lincoln's life, spanning the 1830s to the 1860s. While most of the materials are written by other people, there are a few documents in his Lincoln's own hand, so keep an eye out for those if that's your particular area of interest.

We're launching with a "Letters to Lincoln" Challenge, which you can read more about here: Letters to Lincoln Challenge.

You might also be interested in the "Clara Barton: 'Angel of the Battlefield;" Campaign. Barton (1821-1912) was a Civil War nurse and founder of the American Red Cross. She was an advocate for women's suffrage and worked closely with members of Congress to establish the Red Cross. You might also be interested in a forthcoming Campaign centered on the papers of William Oland Bourne, an advocate for Civil War veterans, particularly for those who suffered the loss of their right arms and other. Bourne wrote to President Lincoln (this letter has already been transcribed and is visible in the Library's catalog), and his activities and writings touch upon many of the issues that concerned Lincoln and indeed his successors. Check out the Campaigns page!

3 of 3 people found this helpful