1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 9, 2018 10:24 AM by Rebecca Collier

    Help finding vet William Osman or William Osmond


      I am looking for a veteran named William Osman (or Osmond, my grandmother could not remember exactly which one) who was stationed in Heilbronn, Germany in 1956/57. He met my grandmother, Maria Nowotny, during his tour. Unfortunately she passed when I was still an infant and I am hoping he can tell me more about my grandmother when she was a young girl!

        • Re: Help finding vet William Osman or William Osmond
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Ms. DiSantis,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The National Archives does not have the present addresses of former service personnel or their survivors on file.  The Federal agency most likely to have such addresses is the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The VA can forward a message from you to the veteran, providing the veteran has filed a claim with VA, and they have an address on record. To forward a message, please write your message and place it in an unsealed, stamped envelope. Also include a note to the VA explaining who it is you are trying to reach and add as much identifying information as you have. Place all of this in another envelope addressed to the nearest Veterans Affairs Regional Office (you can find the address at https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/home.asp). If the veteran is in their records, your message to the veteran will be sealed and the envelope addressed to the address they have on file for the veteran. Please note that the veteran may not have informed the VA of a change of address, so they cannot guarantee receipt of your message. If the veteran receives your note, it is then up to the veteran to contact you.


          We hope this information is helpful! Best of luck with your family research!


          2 people found this helpful