1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 9, 2018 1:56 PM by Holly Rivet

Help finding Middle Name of WWII Navy Vet

TJ B Newbie

Hello, I am searching for information on my deceased grandfather, Lester Franklin Harper.   I do not know very much about him.  I only met him once as a young child and I remember clearly that he had an Anchor Tattoo on his forearm.   I have found a Lester F. Harper, who served in the Navy during WWII.   His service #9811912.   How do I go about finding out what this particular service member's middle name was?

Thank you kindly for any help.  I am brand new to searching for information about someone.

• Re: Help finding Middle Name of WWII Navy Vet
          Holly Rivet Adventurer

Dear TJ,

Thank you for contacting the History Hub!

The majority of military databases will only include a middle initial.  Additionally, many servicemen in this time frame did not list their middle names upon enlistment.  You may be able to request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) from the National Archives in St. Louis.  This record series consists of Navy servicemen retired or discharged between 1886 and 1994.  The files contain basic biographical information as well as military training and bases where they served. Often times they also include identification pictures and personal correspondence.  There is no comprehensive list of these files we can use to answer your specific question via History Hub.

These records are releasable to the public when the date of separation becomes 62 years from today’s date.  You may request these OMPFs to view in our Research Room for no charge or complete an SF-180 form and send it to the following address:

National Archives and Records Administration

National Archives at St. Louis

ATTN: RL-SL

PO Box 38757

St. Louis, MO 63138

Since there are most likely more than one Lester F. Harpers, do not include this service number on your request.

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

1 of 1 people found this helpful