1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 1, 2018 7:46 AM by Holly Rivet

my grandfathers military records.

craig vann Newbie

my grandfather Willie P Smith was in the navy in world war 2 . he got out was an orderly at harlem hospital. and then became a merchant marine and eventually moving to and living in the phillipines as a resident .  the first time i ever saw my grandfather , was in 1978 on 23rd st at the veterans hospital in manhattan.   i do not know his date of birth . or what state he was born in . but i know hes on my moms birth certificate. for 1947. where do i begin my search and how?? ive got family now in the phillipines that im trying to find ...

• Re: my grandfathers military records.
          Holly Rivet Adventurer

Hello Mr. Vann,

Thank you for contacting the History Hub!

We would recommend first browsing the U.S. World War II Navy Muster Rolls, 1938-1949 and U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010 which can be accessed on Ancestry.com.  This website may charge a fee, but you may be able to access it for free at a local library.  If you come to a National Archives location you can use our computers for no charge in one of our research rooms.  

You may be able to request Navy Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) from the National Archives in St. Louis depending on when they were discharged from service.  These records are releasable to the public when the date of separation becomes 62 years from today’s date. You may view these original records or request copies for a fee.  We recommend contacting the St. Louis location to make an inquiry.

National Archives and Records Administration

National Archives at St. Louis

ATTN: RL-SL

PO Box 38757

St. Louis, MO 63138

Merchant Marine service records are held by the U.S. Coast Guard’s National Maritime Center.

Commanding Officer

USCG-National Maritime Center (NMC-421)

ATTN: Correspondence Section

100 Forbes Drive

Martinsburg, WV 25404

We hope this information is useful and best of luck with your research!

Holly Rivet

3 of 3 people found this helpful