1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 20, 2018 2:52 PM by Legislative Archives

Is there a correlation of the numbers on joint resolution of 66th Congress, 1st session?

David Gindy Newbie

I am trying to find out the correlation of the numbers found on top of the true copies of the joint resolution of  the 66th Congress, first session sent out by Secretary of State Frank L. Polk.

This is in reference to the 19th amendment, extending the right of women's suffrage. I am working on a project to figure out how the state department designates the numbers which are found on top of the true copies which are sent to each governor of the 48 states at that time.

I have found records for 6 of the copies which where sent out, but can not make reason of the number order used on top,  it is not alphabetic order. So was not sure in what order the copies where sent out and if there was any system in place for the order of the resolutions where sent. I am trying to figure out the number on top for each state that the true copies where sent. Also, where would the copies be kept, if they where kept at all.

Below are the ones i found and correlating numbers that where stamped on top of each.

Alabama   #3798

Missouri    # 3772

Iowa         # 3763

Indiana     #3764

Louisiana  #3766

Washington #3794

I do appreciate any time and help with this project.

Very Best Regards,

David

• Re: Is there a correlation of the numbers on joint resolution of 66th Congress, 1st session?
          Legislative Archives Adventurer

Hi David -- thank you for posting to History Hub!

The current constitutional amendment process charges the Archivist of the United States with administrating the ratification process. However, it was the Secretary of State who performed these duties until 1950. Then it switched to the Administrator of General Services until the National Archives assumed responsibility as an independent agency in 1985.

The U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate voted on May 21 and June 4, 1919, respectively, to pass H.J. Res. 1 -- "Proposing an amendment to the Constitution extending the right of suffrage to women." Once the joint resolution was enrolled, it was sent to the states for ratification via the Secretary of State. According to the Statute at Large (41 Stat 362), it was deposited in the Department of State on June 5, 1919.

I see the numbers you're referring to printed in the legislative journals of various states who received H.J. Res. 1 for ratification -- for example, in the printed journals of Texas, Iowa (p. 11), Utah (p. 9), and Washington. But I don't see these numbers in the Congressional Record or in the U.S. House or U.S. Senate journals.

Given this, I'd guess this is purely a Department of State number, maybe something regularly assigned to official external communications? I'd recommend contacting an archivist familiar with the records of the Department of State. There's a portal on the NARA website for State Department records or you can also email archives2reference@nara.gov.

Cheers!

Sarah

1 of 1 people found this helpful