1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 17, 2018 3:05 PM by Jason Atkinson

how do i find death records before 1867

CAITLYN MCKENNA Newbie

I am trying to find a cause of death for a person who died in 1864. I have looked at probate court records (which is where they say to look before the 20th century) and they don't have anything before 1867. I have the obituary, but it is vague and thus not particularly helpful. Does anybody know where I should be looking?

I mean, if its nowhere, its nowhere. But I can't help feeling that I'm just looking in the wrong places.

• Re: how do i find death records before 1867
          Jason Atkinson Wayfarer

A great deal will depend on the location and circumstances of the death.  Every state was different, and in the 19th century few (if any) states kept records of such things and even fewer people would have been inclined to go through the effort of registering such information with the state. Also, autopsies would have been rare and medical knowledge out of date by modern standards, so if someone died of an illness for example even the people that knew him or her wouldn't necessarily have had an 100% accurate knowledge of what illness it was.

The only thing I can suggest at this point is to try the guidance given here:  https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/United_States_Death_Records

1 of 1 people found this helpful