5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2018 10:53 PM by joan stachnik Branched to a new discussion.

How Can I Find 1943 Army Portraits

Melanie Holbrook Newbie

Where do I request military portraits/graduation photos/yearbook of my grandfather who was in the Army 1943-1944? I can't seem to find information on this anywhere.

• Re: How Can I Find 1943 Army Portraits
          Rebecca Collier Navigator

Dear Ms. Holbrook,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The "official" photos of individuals, taken by the military, are not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and are not retained by the service. If the photo you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File. However, there is no guarantee the photo will be present.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
              Melanie Holbrook Newbie

Dear Ms. Collier,

Thank you for your assistance.  It is very much appreciated.  I will try there.

Sincerely,

Melanie

Patrick Power Wayfarer

Rebecca,

Does this mean that all negatives from all the services have been destroyed or only that prints from those negatives were not maintained?

Patrick

Rebecca Collier Navigator

Dear Mr. Power,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

It depends on who took the photographs. While stateside, the officers of a unit or crew occasionally paid for a civilian photographer to come to their base to take pictures. These photographs sometimes are just distributed to the individual members with no permanent copy kept by the military. These negatives would belong to the photographer.

If the photographs were taken by military photographers, any individual photographs may end up in the their Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) while crews or unit photographs might be filed as part of the collections that eventually were accessioned by the National Archives in College Park - Still Pictures (RDSP). Records management schedules would determine if the negatives were kept as well as the photographs.

We hope that this information is helpful.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  joan stachnik Adventurer

Hi Ms. Holbrook,  I just found a photo of my dad taken shortly after his enlistment in the army at the Chicago Public Library archives. Apparently the photo had been given to the library as part of a collection of photos from a community center in my dad's neighborhood. I'm guessing the community center might have posted photos of local residents serving in WWII. This was a very chance, almost accidental, finding but if there was a community center or similar where your grandfather lived, it might be a place to check. Hope this is of some help, joan

2 of 2 people found this helpful