1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 26, 2018 1:43 PM by craig vann

southeastern tribes and bands

craig vann Newbie

Originally posted 9-6-2018

The issue i'm having here is research that goes back to the early 90s when i began my research at nara in nyc .

my grandmothers account of us being native american goes back to 1984 when she told me that we were in fact santee native people out of south carolina.  the research has taken me as far as places as south dakota. some of the people of the sisseton wahpeton tribe claim an ancient kin ship to most of the southeastern siouan peoples . the seperation was due to time and migration.  the remnants of those bands in the southeast were heavily mixed over time . and because of walter plecker and his work to rename people of black and native mixtures as negroes or mulattos. the last full blood going back in my line was my grandmothers mother " rachel davis "  her husband adam singleton was a mixed blood and was said to be three quarters ( tribe unknown ) but rachel was santee . the problem is that most of the southeastern people didnt have any rolls . ive been unable to locate probate records . birth or baptismal to verify my grandmothers account. i was only given the history in the oral tradition but have been unable to prove it. this is my brick wall. i do have a strong sense that something does in fact exist. " but where "?

from about 1880 to 1910  my great great grandparents seemingly disappear from the state of south carolina altogether . then they re appear and by the behaviour of the census are moving around alot within the state . the ethnic classifications usually end up the same . closed communities of " negroes " Mulattos and whites . then again ten yrs down the line and having neighbours with last names that are pretty well know and happen to be native americans like " canty " and " gipson " my great grandmother Luella Singleton ( rachels daughter )  married a Vann , which is also a very well known name throughout the native community. i was in fact born a vann . but as far as i know my great grandfather Naketer thomas vann was not native at all. his father geroge washington vann may have been owned as a slave to the vann family who were dutch and cherokee . my great great grandparents were adam and rachel singleton ( rachel nee davis) and were from friendship parish . i called the archives in columbia and there was a gentleman that claimed friendship parish never existed .  S Pony Hill author of " strangers in their own land " claimed hed never heard of the last name of davis before , yet in an excerpt from his book , the name davis comes up several times alongside the township " privateer township sumter .( maybe he forgot ? LOL ) this is not for the purposes of enrollment anywhere with any state or federally recognized tribe or band . my research is soley for the purpose of setting the record straight as to the true nature of my familys ancestry . any help would be greatly appreciated by me

• Re: southeastern tribes and bands
          Holly Rivet Adventurer

Dear Mr. Vann,

Thank you for contacting History Hub!

While National Archives staff cannot do genealogical research for individuals, we can tell you about our records that may be helpful in your research. The National Archives Kansas City houses Reservation Censuses from Nebraska, Record Group 75: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, 1793-1999.  These records contain information such as payrolls, probate files, and vital statistics.

For more information about the Santee in South Carolina, please see the South Carolina Department of Archives History webpage regarding state recognized tribes. You may also contact the Santee Sioux Nation in South Dakota or the Santee Indian Organization of South Carolina for more resources.

If you come to a National Archives location you can use our computers for free. Otherwise you pay a subscription fee for the site. Sometimes you may find free service at your local library. If your relative was not a member of a federally recognized tribe we will not have a record of them as an Indian under the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA).

Best of luck with your research. Thank you again for using History Hub.

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

1 of 1 people found this helpful