4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2018 9:51 AM by Jenette Parish

Citing Documents

Becki Depew Newbie

I need help in citing a packet of documents I received from the National Archives. Could someone help me with this?  I submitted an online request for the Full Pension File of an ancestor for the time he served in the Civil War.  Both of his parents filed claims for his pension. An interesting and humorous thing to note, handwritten at the top of the Research Ticket is “Positive Gold”.  Indeed, it is. These documents are a wealth of vital information in documenting this family. I’m trying to step up my game when it comes to correctly sourcing my research.  I have been using the guild published by the St. Louis Genealogical Society, but I can’t figure out how or what information to plug into any of their templates.  The documents I received include an application from the father, which was denied because the mother was still living. At the rejection of the father’s application, the mother submitted an application. After much back and forth and an intensive interview by a special investigator years later it was accepted. There is an affidavit as to the mother’s death, followed by a second application from the father which was approved.  The documents I received were 96 pages in total. I’m guessing all this information is contained in one file, but not certain.  Thank you!

• Re: Citing Documents
          Ryan Bass Adventurer

Dear Ms. Depew,

Thank you for your question to HistoryHub. For citing records from the National Archives, please use our citation guide available through the National Archives website. Best of luck in your research!

Jenette Parish Adventurer

Hello Ms. Depew,

Thank you for contacting the History Hub regarding the citation of pension files. You may use this link to our official guide to citing records at the National Archives. There is an entire section for citing textual records. Page 5 has an example of citing the Civil War pension file with certificate number.

I hope this information is helpful. Best of luck.

Jenette Parish

Military Records

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              Becki Depew Newbie

Thank you all for the quick replies. I’m sorry I may have worded this poorly as by not better clarifying my need. Let me take another shot at it.  I did previously access the National Archives citation guide. What I’m struggling with is how to determine the vital information needed for the citation, such as Record Group, Subgroup, File Unit, etc.  I had expected some type of file reference notation on the research ticket or elsewhere in the document packet like I’ve gotten from various State and local archives, but I don’t see that information with this set of documents.  The example in the citation guide references “Record Group 15” and “Case Files of Approved Pension Applications of Veterans Who Served in the Army and Navy Mainly in the Civil War and …”, how am I to know this is indeed the file location from which my packet of documents came?   Additionally, in the future, should I specifically request the file location information when I make a request for documents?

Jenette Parish Adventurer

The citation should have a certificate number issued by the pension claims board. It is the on the documents that you received. You can review your papers to find the certificate number and use that in your citation.

Jenette Parish

1 of 1 people found this helpful