1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 29, 2018 12:52 PM by Jenette Parish

    Civil War Substitutes

    Luci J Baker Johnson Adventurer

      I recently learned that during the Civil War there were three different drafts. AND that individuals that wanted to avoid the draft, could pay someone to take their place. Was this action a state or federal action that was taken? That is, did an individual complete specific paperwork authorizing that they had 'paid someone' to take their place? Were these records kept on the federal level? What would that record look like? Was there a specific document that had to be completed and signed by both parties? Was it a binding contract? Where would I look for these documents / records?