1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 22, 2018 10:12 AM by Holly Rivet

    How can I get my uncle's service record?


      I had an uncle, James Louie Anderson, from Kaufman County, Texas. He was in the navy, and probably in the South Pacific.  He had children much later, and they know very little. I have a picture of James Louie in his navy uniform.  His daughter told me that he once mentioned that if she could go to Australia, to go because it was beautiful.  The only way he could ever go there was when he was in the navy.  He also joined the Marines in the 1950's.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.


        • Re: How can I get my uncle's service record?
          Holly Rivet Tracker

          Hello Mr. Turner,


          Thank you for contacting the History Hub!


          You may be able to request Navy, and Marine Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) from the National Archives in St. Louis depending on when they were discharged from service.  These records are releasable to the public when the date of separation becomes 62 years from today’s date. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs will contain information such as place of enlistment, duty stations, education and military training, occupational specialty, etc.  These records may also contain military battles and campaigns, letters of correspondence, medical exams and treatments, and emergency contact data.


          You may view these original records or request copies for a fee.  We recommend contacting the St. Louis location to make an inquiry.  Please ask for both the Navy and Marine files in case both are releasable.


          National Archives and Records Administration

          National Archives at St. Louis

          ATTN: RL-SL

          PO Box 38757

          St. Louis, MO 63138


          We hope this information is useful and best of luck with your research!


          Holly Rivet


          2 people found this helpful