1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 20, 2018 11:06 AM by Rebecca Collier

    Looking for Department of the Navy Civilian Records.  Where do I look?




      Where can I find Civilian records for the Department of the Navy?  I worked in Okinawa and I wanted to know how I can access them?

        • Re: Looking for Department of the Navy Civilian Records.  Where do I look?
          Rebecca Collier Guide

          Dear Ms. Storck,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Official Personnel Files (OPFs) and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity since 1952 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center. Written requests may be mailed or faxed to National Personnel Records Center Annex, 1411 Boulder Boulevard, Valmeyer, IL 62295. The fax number is 618-935-3014. Please include full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of employing Federal agency, and beginning and ending dates of Federal service. For more information, please check their web site at https://www.archives.gov/personnel-records-center/civilian-non-archival.


          If you are seeking records about the actual work you did for the Navy in Okinawa, these records are probably still with the Navy. The National Archives may receive these records once they are 25 years old.


          We hope this information is helpful.


          3 people found this helpful