2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2018 10:14 AM by joan stachnik

119th Infantry, St. Lo July 1944

joan stachnik Adventurer

Hi, I am looking into the WWII service of one of my uncle's (at the request of my aunt). He was in the 119th Infantry, Company F and fought at St. Lo. He was seriously wounded there (July 22nd I believe) and eventually returned home for medical care. I wanted to look through morning reports for his unit during his time of service, especially after D-Day.

My question: is knowing the infantry unit (119th) and the company (F) enough to find/search morning reports? Or is there another unit designation that I need to find out? And, how do I find out what hospitals (field or evac) would have initially treated those of the 119th wounded during fighting at St. Lo? I am planning to be at the St. Louis Archives in a couple of weeks. thank you for any help.  joan

• Re: 119th Infantry, St. Lo July 1944
          Holly Rivet Adventurer

Dear Ms. Stachnik,

Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!

There a number of resources here in St. Louis that we can use to research your uncle’s time in service.  First, the information you have is enough to search through the Morning Reports.  It’s best to begin with the date of an event (like an injury or separation of service) and work backwards in time to track their movement and actions.

We can also help you search the Daily Sick Reports/Books, US Army 1917 - 1953 and Army Air Force/Air Force 1917 - 1951 while you are here.  They typically contain name, rank, date of event, and if they were hospitalized.  We recommend searching the National Archives Access to Archival Database to gather more information on members who served in the Army during WWII.  You may be able to find a service number that will help in finding any auxiliary files we may have for him.

To schedule an appointment, please contact the Archival Research Room in advance, by phone at (314) 801-0850 or by email at stlarr.archives@nara.gov.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research.

Holly Rivet

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • Re: 119th Infantry, St. Lo July 1944
              joan stachnik Adventurer

Ms Rivet, thank you very much for the reply. I already have an appointment for the Archives. The morning reports are going to be my first search, so I wanted to make sure I had enough information to start.  Also would like to search the Daily Sick Reports/Books for information on my dad's service as well. Thank you, joan