1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 17, 2018 7:44 AM by Holly Rivet

Seeking roster of Co. E, 1st Gas Regiment in WWI.

Janet Olson Newbie

I am trying to find a list of the names of the men who were in Company E of the First Gas Regiment in World War I.  My father was a member of the group and I would like to know who else was in "E".  I have a picture but no names.   I believe they were mostly in France.

• Re: Seeking roster of Co. E, 1st Gas Regiment in WWI.
          Holly Rivet Adventurer

Dear Ms. Olson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The National Archives St. Louis holds the Army Muster Rolls and Rosters from the U.S. Army (1912-1943); Record Group 338, Records of the U. S. Army Commands.  Rosters were prepared monthly and contain the following information: names listed alphabetically by rank, serial number, arm of service, component, date of current commission, race, and principal duty.

The First Gas Regiment was known as the 30th Engineer Regiment during the war and did indeed serve in France.  When submitting your request, please list both titles for us to search. For more information on the history of the First Gas Regiment, please follow this link to a digitized copy of ‘The Story of the First Gas Regiment’ by James Addison.

Researchers must specify the organizational unit and date. NARA staff can then use an index to locate the microfilm reel or paper report for the given unit on a particular date.  Upon request, we will provide digitized images on DVD of organizational records, each taken from a roll of microfilm created by the Department of the Air Force in the 1950s and 1960s.  The original paper documents no longer exist. The response time for future requests may be six or more months, depending upon our available resources and the total volume of requests received.

To make an inquiry, please contact the Archival Division Program by email or letter:

National Archives at St. Louis

ATTN: RL-SL

PO Box 38757

St. Louis, MO 63138

stl.archives@nara.gov

If you would like to personally view the rosters or morning reports, we will make them available, by appointment only, in our Archival Research Room located at the National Personnel Records Center, Archival Research Room, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138. For a small fee, you may print copies of the pages you want from the microfilm. To schedule an appointment, please contact the Archival Research Room in advance, by phone at (314) 801-0850 or by email at stlarr.archives@nara.gov.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research.

Holly Rivet

1 of 1 people found this helpful