3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2018 11:03 AM by George Kase

Seeking materials on the US Navy Mark IV Full Pressure Suit Model III

George Kase Newbie

Hi...I am looking for information, images, manuals and instructional materials on the US Navy Mark IV Full Pressure Suit Model III as manufactured by BF Goodrich Co of Ohio...can anyone suggest where this kind of info might be located?

I have been to the Smithsonian, National Air and Space Museum. US Naval Aviation Museum NASA and numerous books etc and

am looking for source material such as Instructions on doning and use, user manuals, patent application, diagrams, specs, etc...any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

• Re: Seeking materials on the US Navy Mark IV Full Pressure Suit Model III
          Rebecca Collier Tracker

Dear Mr. Kase,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched and located a document digitized by the Defense Technical Information Center as AD0434193, “PRESSURE SUIT PRE-FLIGHT SYSTEM: Activities, Requirements, and Specifications.” 

We also located these citations that may be available from the Navy Department Library or the Naval History and Heritage Command:

• James V. Correale, et. al., “The Lightweight Full-Pressure Suit System of the U.S. Navy,” Air Crew Equipment Branch, Naval Air Material Center Philadelphia, 1959.
          • Bureau of Naval Weapons. BuWeps Aviation Clothing and Survival Equipment Bulletin No. 23-61: Subj: Light Weight Full Pressure Suit, MK-IV, Type II B, Operation and Maintenance Information and Instructions. 25 July 1961.
          • Chief, Bureau of Aeronautics. Operation and Maintenance Instructions, Light Weight, High Altitude Full Pressure Suit, Mark IV, Mod 0. NAVAER 13-10-501. 1 October 1959.
          • U. S. Naval Air Material Center. Study to Assess the Effectiveness and Utilization of Full Pressure Suits. NAMC-ACEL-373. 5 May 1958.

Lastly, this Goodrich Manual titled “Fitting, Donning, Operation and Maintenance Instructions: Light Weight Full-pressure Suit, Mark IV,” Goodrich manual GPS-59-1 (1959) may be part of the the B.F. Goodrich Company Records (1868-1990) housed at the University of Akron:

We Hope this information is helpful. Beast of luck with your research!

4 of 4 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking materials on the US Navy Mark IV Full Pressure Suit Model III
            George Kase Newbie

I just thought I would update this thread for future researchers...I did contact an archivist at the BF Goodrich Archives at U of Akron and they do not have the suit manual. They were quite helpful but could not find that particular title in their collection. just FYI

2 of 2 people found this helpful