1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 14, 2018 12:50 PM by Rebecca Collier

Want information about Leland "Chief" Ezell and Robert T. Mayo who served in World War II.

Larry Turner Newbie

In researching World War II vets, I am having a hard time finding info on Leland Ezell who served as a Chief and a frogman from UDT #9 named Robert Truett Mayo.  I could use suggestions on either of the Veterans from Van Zandt County, Texas.

• Re: Want information about Leland "Chief" Ezell and Robert T. Mayo who served in World War II.
          Rebecca Collier Navigator

Dear Mr. Turner,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub.

We suggest that you request a copy of their Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs). The medical and OMPFs of officers and enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service prior to 1957 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Please use a GSA SF 180 to request these records. Since Mayo is listed as U.S. Navy Researve (USNR) on the roster mentioned below, you may wish to contact the Navy Personnel Command (PERS-312E), 5720 Integrity Drive, Millington, TN 38055-3120 by using a separate GSA SF 180 to request these records.

We searched the Records of the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations (Record Group 38) and located an action report of reconnaissance by Underwater Demolition Team (UDT) No. 9. An Ensign R. T. Mayo is listed on the roster (see Annex I or Enclosure A). Additional records about Underwater Demolition Teams are available.

If you would like information about the ship or unit with which Chief Leland Ezell served, please provide us with the name of his ship or unit and we will gladly continue our search.

We hope that this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful