1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 15, 2018 10:09 AM by Rebecca Collier

How can I check to see if Rufus Lloyd Davidson was part of the Doolittle Raid?

Larry Turner Newbie

Rufus Lloyd Davidson worked with me in Italy, Texas. He visited my history class and answered many questions. After visiting my class and working with him 3 years, I feel certain that he took part in the Doolittle Raid in 1942. His name appears nowhere in the mission. Since they had to leave in such a hurry, i wonder if he was a last minute replacement for someone else.  If someone can advise me, it will be appreciated.

Larry Turner

Retired US History Teacher

• Re: How can I check to see if Rufus Lloyd Davidson was part of the Doolittle Raid?
          Rebecca Collier Tracker

Dear Mr. Turner,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the Records of the Army Staff (Record Group 319) and located a series titled Background Files to the Study "Tokyo Raid", 8/1943 - 1944 that included a complete listing of the men on the 16 planes that were flown during the raid. Davidson was not on that listing or the listing of the men that were captured/released. The study was written after the raid and would have included any last minute changes to the crews.

Davidson may have been part of the crew of one of the Navy ships involved in the raid. To verify this, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs). OMPFs of officers and enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service prior to 1957 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Please use a GSA SF 180 to request these records.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 of 1 people found this helpful