5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2018 9:01 AM by Rebecca Collier

History of 434th Military Govt Unit

Elliot Schneider Scout

Hello NARA,

Looking for help and information on a unit from 1952-1958, it was called the  434th Military Government unit. From other sources this unit may have been considered a non-organic unit of the army. I do know that it was within the 5th Army area during those years that I have listed. My question is will I have better luck looking under the fifth Army utilizing the decimal system 322, and 326 or should I be using the following

Record Group 338:
      Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter), 1917 - 1999

Series:
      Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967

NAID# 895216, UD 37042, 173399

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

• Re: History of 434th Military Govt Unit
          Rebecca Collier Navigator

Dear Mr. Schneider,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) but were unable to locate records of the 434th Military Intelligence Detachment (Strategic) in either Organizational History Files of Various Army Units, 1920 - 1972 or Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967.

There are several unprocessed unit history series in RG 338 and there are some Military Intelligence unit files in RG 319. To access these, we suggest that you visit the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2). The staff of RDT2 will be glad to assist you with your search.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

3 of 3 people found this helpful
              Elliot Schneider Scout

Hello Mrs Collier,

Thank you for your response much appreciated. If those are records are unprocessed are some unrestricted which would need a FOIA request. How does that work with unprocessed files of FRC.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

Dear Mr. Schneider,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on the History Hub.

After conducting a search of the National Archives Catalog and checking to see if the records you are interested in has an undetermined access restriction, please contact the Reference Unit listed at the bottom of the series description. They will be able to indicate whether the records are classified and if you need to file a FOIA request.

For more information about the FOIA process, please consult the NARA’s web site at https://www.archives.gov/foia.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  Elliot Schneider Scout

Dear Mrs. Collier,

Would you happen to have an area or location #, for the FRC for the RG 338 Unprocessed unit history files. I'm have trouble locating them. Your assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

Dear Mr. Schneider,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub.

Using the National Archives Catalog and the Advanced Search, you can isolate series titled “Unit HIstories” in RG 338 and locate 45 hits for 1950-1959. Please review these and select the ones with the hierarchy you need. Then click on the hyperlinked titles to see if there are any file unit listings either in the Catalog or the custody of the NARA Reference Unit. The number of boxes, HMS Entry number, security classification, and whether the series is processed or not are included in the description. Bring this information with you when you visit the particular Reference Unit listed.

2 of 2 people found this helpful